Reading and Responsibility with Youth CADL Cards

Is this the year to get your child their own library card? At CADL we believe the child’s caregiver is the best judge of when to get a card for a child. Some want their child to have their own card right from the beginning. Some wait until the child is reading on their own. Some think they child needs to be able to sign their name. Some want more control over the child’s library use so everything needs to be checked out on the adult’s card. Whatever your criteria for getting your child a card is, we can point you in the right direction. We have two kinds of cards for children, so let me go over the rules of each:


One is called the Youth One Card. A child can apply for this card on their own, but they do need to be able to write their full name, address, telephone number, and birth date. With this card they can only check out one book or magazine at a time. They cannot check out media (cds, dvds, or bluerays). They do have access to our public computers and all digital collections. Children who do not live in our service area can get a Youth One Card at no charge.


Full service cards for children must have the approval of a parent. With this card a child can check out up to 50 items at one time including media. The application requires the signature of the parent as well as proof of address ID. Fines or fees for lost or damaged materials are the responsibility of the signing parent.


Now that school is out, and Summer Reading has begun, consider making this the year to get a library card for your child. Register here or come in to any branch and sign up.


Jean B., CADL Foster